Friday, October 26, 2007

Where do I turn?

I've been a Republican for as long as I can remember. I'm Pro-life, Christian, and despise taxes, but I'm also concerned about the health of our planet. I agree with most of Fred Thompson's views but he refuses to acknowledge our planet is on the verge of a crisis. I differ greatly with Obama's views but will vote for Barack Obama before I would vote for Fred. I have committed myself to vote for the Presidential candidate who takes the strongest stand on the environment in 2008 regardless of party. Unfortunately this country has a two party system that demands each party object to the other party's stance. So we are stuck compromising our beliefs and voting for the lessor of evils rather than the candidate. Why are so many Republicans letting the Democrats win on this issue, is it to despise Al Gore? I'm afraid to protect the planet, I'll have to vote for a Democrat, which would potentially give the Liberals power in the House, Senate, and White House. I'm calling on all Republicans to push the party to recognize that being green is not a Liberal idea, we have a year left to fix the party.

We must make are candidates emphasize renewable energy, stricter mileage standards for vehicles, and emission controls on coal plants that produce 50% of Americas energy. A company called Fuel Tech has a process that removes up to 75% of harmful emissions from these plants and can be in place on all of these power plants in a couple years not decades. Power plants with this technology utilized actually work more efficiently as well. I would propose a tax break on the installation cost for energy providers to help implement this technology immediately.

Solar water heat should be standard and incorporated in all new home construction, and the increased cost should be allowed as a tax credit for the home builder.

Weather you agree that global warming is a real issue or not, why not err on the side of caution.

No comments: